The cacophony echos a week after election day as results of the presidential tally are challenged in may states. Discord is in crescendo. Alternative social media sites have launched to provide a platform for growing conspiracy theories and spewing uncensored vitriolic commentary on recent events. Our nation is deeply divided and many Christians are entangled in the political mess. Against that backdrop I offer nine observations and a declaration regarding the 2020 presidential election.
1. This election feels/appears to be less a win by Biden and more a loss by Trump. A little civility over the past four years and – IMO – Trump wins in a landslide.
2. It is ironic that a man who has spent his life in business missed a primary business maxim: How you treat customers matters. The American people are the customer and he didn’t treat a significant number of them well, and they took their “business” elsewhere.
3. Related: How you treat people matters. It may not matter to you but it does to them.
4. It’s unlikely that Joe Biden is the bastion of virtue that people are making him out to be. Viewing him as the savior from the Trump era is as misguided as the viewing of Trump as the savior from the Obama era. Beware of crafting idols.
5. A number of Trump supporters are posting #NotMyPresident on their Facebook pages in relation to Biden. Remember four years ago when Trump supporters told HRC supporters who posted that about Trump that if they didn’t like it they could leave the US? Here’s the deal. Biden will eventually be their president too, just like Trump was HRC supporters’ president. One country; one president y’all. Everybody – regardless of party affiliation – let’s grow up and put on the big-kid britches.
6. People who claim to be Christians and act as if all hope is lost because Trump did not win re-election seriously need to evaluate in which kingdom they’ve placed their hope.
7. If any Christian feels the election of Biden is surely the undoing of America, then maybe it will be incentive for them to work all the harder to preach the gospel and do good works in such a way that people will see our actions, glorify our Father in heaven and the Kingdom of heaven will advance.
8. The statement “God is sovereign” is NOT a churchy cliche but is an unshakable reality. He DOES know the ends from the beginnings and IS active in ensuring His ends are achieved according to His plan. The election of Biden is NOT an accident, and NOTHING will thwart God’s purposes in using Biden to accomplish His plan for humanity. “The king’s heart is like a stream of water directed by the Lord; he guides it wherever he pleases.” – Proverbs 21:19.
9. Christians must stop looking at the world in four year increments and see the world with an eternal perspective – all that’s happened throughout history and all that is yet to come – if they are to accurately understand the Kingdom of God.
Declaration: “For a child is born to us, a son is given to us. The government will rest on his shoulders. And he will be called: Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. His government and its peace will never end. He will rule with fairness and justice from the throne of his ancestor David for all eternity. The passionate commitment of the Lord of Heaven’s Armies will make this happen!” — Isaiah 9:6-7
Leave a Reply